"Love talked about can be easily pushed aside, but love demonstrated is irresistable"-W Stanley Mooneyham

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dinner is Served...


This year I have been feeling quite guilty for not being one of those wives with a home-cooked dinner once a month if he's lucky at least a couple of times a week, so I'm on a mission to try harder and make a REAL MEAL instead of depriving him of red meat, or I guess I should say meat altogether. Lately I've been so turned off to meat of any kind...I don't know why, but I told you I can be quirky (and no I'm not pregnant). I'm leaning toward being a vegetarian, except I want the exception to be able to eat chicken fingers and the chicked lettuce wraps at PF Changs, please.


With that said operation feed my husband starts tonight...we'll see how well this goes. I'm great at starting projects or goals and never finishing them...I can't remember which color that means I am on the personality chart, but I'm that color. SO...here we go!!


My sister, unlike me, is Betty Crocker...literally one of those people who makes everything from scratch, and
EVERYTHING she makes tastes amazing, so who do you think I went to when I got the urge to become Susie Homemaker?!





My precious sister!


I wanted to make Blake something good and boyish so I told Kel this, and she gave me a recipe for these Roast Beef Po' Boy sandwiches with Au Jus sauce. It's sure to be a hit unless I forget to turn on the crock pot because my husband loves anything as long as there is a sauce on it (whereas if I see so much as a hint of anything discoloring my food I won't TOUCH it-are you starting to see our problem??) SO here is how our (two seperate) meal(s) were made!



The ingredients to make the roast



The finished roast...after 10 hours!





The pre-cheese, pre-toasted sandwiches




Hot out of the oven!



Ready to be eaten!!


Home straight from work and hungry!




"This is the absolute best sandwich I've ever had!"-his words, not mine (promise!)

Now on to MY dinner


Cooking in olive oil



Salted with Lawry's Garlic Salt

My version of a roast...


Consomme Rice!


The finished product!

So if you want to try these on your own, here are the recipes for the sandwich and the rice (which is one of my favorite easy dishes to make!)

Roast Beef Po' Boys with Au Jus

You will need:
1. 3-4 lb Beef Chuck Roast
2. (2 oz) packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
3. 1 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
4. 1 Can (10.5 oz) Beef Consomme
5. 1 Can Beef Broth
6. 1 cup Red Wine (I chose a Alice White Cabernet Sauvignon because the wine seller at Publix told me it was the best cheap wine with a roast)
7. 6 hoagie rolls
8. 1 Package Provolone Cheese

Directions:
1. Place roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle soup mix and pepper over roast. Add consomme, broth and wine.
2. Cover and cook on lowest setting for 10 hours. Remove roast, reserve broth to use as Au Jus. Let cool a bit and shred roast into bite sized pieces.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put sandwiches together (Blake wanted mayonaise, beef and provolone cheese, but you can add or take away whatever you want).
4. Cook for 4-6 mountains

When ready to eat dip sandwiches in Au Jus sauce and enjoy!

Consomme Rice (Makes around 4 servings)

You will need:
1. 2 cans of Campbell's beef consomme
2. 1 1/2 cans of Campbell's french onion soup
3. 1 3/4 cups of Uncle Ben's white rice (brown rice will NOT work...trust me, I've tried about 5 times)
4. 4 tbsp of butter

Directions:
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter in microwave for 30 seconds
3. Put all ingredients in Pyrex 9x13 dish
4. Cook for 40-45 minutes and enjoy!

It was a very successful dinner if I do say so myself! Just look at the joy in his face...


I hope you all have a wonderful night!

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm! Looks delicious! I make pot roast sandwiches for Adam and he loves them too!

    Go Meg! You little cook you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good! I am going to try to make that this week and see what Jonathan thinks :) I also thought it was funny that you said to cook the sandwich for 4-6 'mountains'!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha! I just saw that, Natalie! Who knows where that came from?! Let me know if he likes them-I'm so excited you're going to try them!! Miss you and love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so cute!! Yall are so cute!! And are you kidding me?? Megan... sandwiches like that are ALWAYS a hit! I've never even thought of that ONCE!! You are such a good little wifey!! And where did you get that glorious bag?? I am coveting too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww you are so sweet, Erin!! I'm not sure which bag you're talking about, but I know Audrey's is a Kate Spade and I got mine from Scoop in New York, but I know Bloomingdales and Saks carry it...it's Marc Jacobs. Keep posting-I LOVE your blog!!

    ReplyDelete